Friday 5 October 2007

Oeps

I finally did what I was afraid of.

Haze asked me to bring home a couple of avocados for lunch. Not a big deal as on one of the side roads are some shops, and avocados are available most places. I went down the road in the big embassy car. By the way the embassy car has a little flag up front, but this is covered by what we call a condom, so it looks like a little stick (could call it dildo, but that would be too many sex references in one sentence). So one of the first shops was a local lady with a bowl of about 20 avocados, bingo. I stopped the car got out and asked in my best French how much they were. The lady made the universal sign of a fist. Luckily I came across this sign before when something cost 2,500 RWF, the signs used then were two fingers and a fist. I know this must sound wrong to the English giving somebody first two fingers and then a fist, but I can assure you this was a friendly man and he did mean 2,500 RWF. So I assumed the lady wanted 500 RWF for a avocado. So I picked up two nice avocados, gave the lady 1.000 RWF (GBP 1, EUR 1,35, USD 2) and left. I did get some looks, but a muzungu in this kind of street always gets looks. Going home I thought, this might be a bit much but I am not sure.

At home I told this to Haze and she had to laugh, the sign apparently means a half, or instead five, but can mean half of 1.000 or, in this case, half of 100. So I paid the lady her daily salary for two avocados, where I could have gotten the lot.

I am glad my money went to a lady on the street and not to a big store, and this quality would not be available at 1.000 in The Netherlands, if available at all.

4 comments:

The Toes said...

Oh thank you for todays chuckle Loni
The thought of an Embassy car being used to buy food on the street, and the fist/fingers and you still overpaid chuckle chuckle

Great though - learning new cultures, no stories to tell if you didnt have these experiences eh???

ps Still enjoying mangoes from Mexico :) :)

gemblina said...

Lon. You just made me giggle so much that tea nearly came out of my nose!!

I love having you for a big bro'-in-law :D

Keep the stories coming. x

Anonymous said...

Geweldig!
Net als ma, toen ze in Kameroen een kofferbak vol ananassen kocht!
Heel mooi.
Ook goed om het (voor)oordeel te bevestigen dat in die dure auto's het geld toch voor het opscheppen ligt. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Mooi verhaal!

Stuur je me wat avocados in de post?