Thursday 18 October 2007

Oeps 2

We often borrow an embassy car, this could be either of the two white Toyota Pick ups or one of the Toyota Prado's.

Kigali has quit a few cars, a lot of white Toyota Corollas as taxis, a lot of Toyota minibuses and privately owned mostly 4x4s. There are a few categories of private cars, in order of appearance, White Toyota pick ups, white Toyota Prado's (see a pattern yet?), other 4x4s, Toyota 'normal' car and finally 'other'. The 'other' category is rather interesting, but I won't go into that.

Anyway, I had one of the pick-ups, dropped Haze of at Yoga and went to do some shopping. Some bananas (obligatory), some mangoes, yoghurt, some other small things and a box of four 5 liter bottles of water. A man from the shop kindly offered to bring the water to the car, of course this kindness was not just out of kindness. We walked to the car, I opened the door with some difficulties and the man put the water on the backseat and walked aways after I give him a tip. Then to my great surprise someone started to put a great tree of bananas on the back. I asked him and his made what he thought he was doing. The bloke was surprised and assured me he had the right car, so just to assure myself I looked at the license plate. Insert oops here. Indeed I had the wrong car, I didn't know how quick I could get my stuff out the car into the other one 10 meters further and drive away. Of course all this was witnessed by a lot of people and the word Muzungu was used, probably followed by stupid, but luckily my kinyarwanda is not that good.

4 comments:

The Toes said...

Dont worry Lon - they do that a lot here too with their SUV's,they dont lock the car, so often put shopping in wrong car, only realising when key does'nt work!!!!

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Lon they do that here too, SUV's all look the same and we have seen people putting shopping in the wrong car (they dont lock them!!) only realising when the key won't work!!

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, they do that here too... all SUV's look the same - plus they dont lock their cars - only realising its the wrong car when the key wont work!!

Anonymous said...

Mooi verhaal.
Kan ik leuk aan iedereen doorvertellen!
Da's smullen.