Sunday 9 September 2012

Bonded Warehouse


Before arriving in Bangladesh, we knew it is a Muslim country, and as such "dry", regular Bangladeshis have no access to alcohol.  As Diplomats we have an allowance - and a pass book to purchase alcoholic beverages.  Most expats give their pass book quotas to either the American or British Commissaries and purchase their drinks through them.  Unfortunately for us, both commissaries are not accepting new members from outside (even though I'm a Brit, it doesn't help).  This I think is due to some abuse of the system - where people were using the passbook twice.

So this meant that I needed to go to a "bonded warehouse" in order to buy some booze, I have no passbook yet, as it is in the administrative process, but I had a letter, and the embassy had called ahead.

So the driver and I went off to Road 131.  He wasn't quite sure where it was, so I showed him a map.  It was apparent that he couldn't read the map, or at least relate where we were to where we needed to go.  But we still found it.

He decided he needed to accompany me in - mostly our of curiosity, rather than gallantry (though there is an overwhelming amount of courtesy here - doors being opened, bags carried, chairs pushed in etc)
What is behind the blue door?
so, up in the elevator to the fifth floor, to the shop

oh - a Soviet-era-esque shop

I had to "window shop" and then my list was written on a form
the paperwork
which was then entered into the computer.  I then paid (cash hard currency dollars - we have a hard currency and Taka account opened at the bank - just waiting for cards and chequebook)

down to the third floor with my receipt
fuzzy photo of the stock room
where the stock was collected for me

so now we have some Australian (Hardy's) and South African (Nederberg) red wine.  There was no beer available on Thursday.

1 comment:

The Toes said...

Nom nom wine:) but it's a palava getting it!!!!