Monday 4 May 2009

(swine) mexican flu

Just a quick reply on some question regarding former two blogs:
No, little Peter is not our godchild, and you really don't want to see the picture; it is one of those 'sweet' children, not 'cute' or 'beautifull' if you know what I mean. So I told the guard he was tall and had a lot of hair.
Yes, the tulips came from Holland, so did the cheese and the 'bitterballen'. In a way it was good the party didn't last so long, this gave us an excuse to consume the same amount of haring, cheese and bitterballen as another queensday in a much shorter time. This is also one of the reasons this party is populair, specially among Dutch.

Now, swine flu, we have been told the political correct term is 'Mexican flu'. The embassador told is and I quote 'when just one case of flu is confirmed in Rwanda, I am not allowed to stop anyone who wants to repatriate'. Loosly translated, you are allowed to go to the Netherlands, but I will think you will be taking an unfair advantage. He also couldn't answer my question why I would go to a country where there is already a case of m.flu to escape it. Also as far as I know the only thing to do if you have it is to take some pills. I fail to see what difference it makes if I take a pill here or anywhere else. There also remain many sofar unanswered question, as: who will pay for repatriation and under what condition? If the insurance doesn't pay anything, what will the embassy pay?

We have been asked to provide the embassy with a list of our staff and their children. As soon as 1 case is comfirmed in Rwanda we will get enough pills for 30% of embassy personell and staff of expats and family. Why we don't get already a small stock is also beyond me, won't it be a bit late by the time we have a confirmed case?
As in many rules and regulations it all seems a bit arbitrairy. In any case, I hope this will blow over and with any luck we will not notice a thing. Although it has to be said I am a bit snotty lately ....

Luckily 5 May is for me a day of this year, liberation day. So I can have a lay-in and get some strength.

No comments: