Friday 22 May 2009

Flying visit

Last week (10-14 May) I went to The Netherlands for business, namely a computer course.

This meant I left Saturday afternoon to be there Sunday morning. The flight to Nairobi was uneventful. The waiting in Nairobi was worse then expected, but the coffee is nice there. The two hours they reserved for checking in was almost not sufficient, due to their speed, or lack of, and the size of the plane, a Boeing 747-400, the ones with stairs in it.

I sat next to a quiet lady and a sleeping child, this was not a bad spot. Still didn't sleep much as the flight is 8 hours. After taking off they serve dinner, this takes a long time, then some drinks, after that you can try to sleep. At least two hours before you land they start serving breakfast, so effectively I could have a theoratical 4 hours sleep.

The Dutch railway system is good, however not so much at Sunday mornings. Just missed the train to The Hague, so I get a magazine and wait for nearly an hour. A train arrives for The Hague HS and no one in sight to ask if this one has a connection to The Hague CS. Normally I would just get on the train, but not now with all this luggage. One of the next trains I ask a lady and she confirms I should have taken the train and can take the train some 40 later, just as well I am too tired to be grumpy.

So Sunday enough time to go to our, empty, house for a check and some fish at the sea side. The House looked OK, it does need some cleaning and a few minor repairs. After way too much fish from Simonis I head to the centre for a long awaited visit to the HEMA and Media markt. I did not get everything I need in one go, but enough to be satisfied and a reasonable amount to carry.

The next three days I had my course which was not too hard, but not too borring: a good balance. The time after the course I had to spent to hunt the missing things from our list. The Wednesday I spend a long time in the AH for a weird food list.

This summer we will definetely invest in a better suitcase, the wheels of this one feel of at an early stage on my way to the airport, 25 Kilos without wheels is not easy.

All in all a good outing, but not very relaxing. Sorry for all of you who would have liked to see me, but I think that would have been an overload and not very relaxing. Some other time.

No comments: