Saturday 11 October 2008

Culture

We went to see a jazz band yesterday. I came along not because I like jazz, but because there is finally something to do and there might be friends there.

It turned out quite nice, a group of four germans playing all sorts of blowing instruments. I would not have called it jazz. Halfway they invited a lady on the stage who plays the local guitar like instrument. This was impressive, the sound she got out of it plus her voice left everybody quiet, even the musician who wanted to 'jam' did not really play along.

The poor men came from Madagascar and had over 30 hours travel behind them without sleep.

This event was in a new place recently set up by the german Goethe institute. It is not well known, because it's new and just off the beaten track. It has certainly potential, there are not many places where you can have a venue and they have a brilliant view. They only need to train the staff a bit.

A man in front of me ordered they Primus beer and changed his mind and wanted Amstel. So he got three Primus and a Amstel. I took over one Primus as I wanted beer anyway. So I ordered a COLD Mutzig for Haze. So I got a warm Mutzig. To start with he also did not have any change. Giving him 5.600 so we need 1.000 back instead of 400, made him only confused, so we had to tell him what to give back and he just believed us.

The german Goethe lady was funny: ' I like to thank the embassador et sa Frau ' mixing three languages without noticing.

I hope this centre will remain, last night it was mostly expats who where curious about it. I wonder if it will take off and attract more Rwandans as well.

No comments: