Monday 2 June 2014

Minister's visit

A few months ago we were informed on the oncoming visit of our minister of foreign trade and development aid, accompanied by a camera crew of the Dutch national broadcaster (NOS). I knew it was a week after our return from holiday, what I didn't realize how big my involvement would be in the logistics of this 'operation'.

So, coming back from holidays a week before the visit, I was assigned the task of arranging the travel plans and contact with the hotel etc. My colleagues made a tight schedule integrating all wishes of the minister. Unfortunately as there are many people involved there are many visions and opinions, resulting in constant adaptations. One of the challenges was finding two factories that were willing to show the minister around including the camera team, luckily our network proved to be useful.
The logistics plan was a puzzle, but I got there in the end. Just to give you an impression, we have 4 cars, each car has a driver leaving only 3 places, the delegation consisted of 6 people, the ambassador and head of development aid need to be constantly with the delegation, most programmes need an embassy expert who in general has to be on site before the arrival of the delegation thereby taking one car out of the equation. To complicate matters I need a car every now and than to travel to the hotel, airport and other locations.
The preparations included doing a 'test-drive'.  Three of us doing the exact route the minister will take on her field-day. This being Bangladesh this involves a lot of travel time at slow speed in traffic jams. However it was quite interesting seeing the two completely different factories. One was more what I would call a house, the other one was huge, really deserving the name factory.

The test of my planning was of course the visit.
Day one was easy, pick up from the airport and check-in at the hotel.
Day two consists of mostly meetings, first at the hotel later at a.o. the embassy and the ambassador's residence. So up a little earlier than normal to make sure the hotel meeting rooms were ready. A bit of running around arranging coffee, signing bills etc.; it went well. So back to the embassy to prepare the meeting there while the delegations has lunch somewhere.

My colleague was there to arrange chairs, test the beamer and more. I saw the beamer was producing a starchart that was supposed to be fixed a week earlier, our 'IT guy' famous for breaking things, failed to inform me that it was not fixed and didn't think it was necessary to look for a solution. In stead of pushing his face through the lens I decided to remain calm. We were very lucky that our German neighbours were prepared to lend us their beamer. It hurts to say, but the Germans saved us. It has to be said that it was torture to see this man hang up the borrowed beamer; I could have done it and learnt a foreign language in the same time.
After that I had an hour or so free time, yeah. Early to bed to be fit for the next demanding day.

Press conference with a local minister, our minister and the ambassador

Yes, this is Jeroen Pauw (famous Dutch journalist)

Day three started again with meetings. Meanwhile I had to do the check-out and arrange the unplanned lunches for the camera crew. The relay race was on. The delegation went to the first factory while I went to the second to be there ahead of them. As I hoped I got offered a nice coffee and good lunch, not a bad place to work. We had some time to kill so I got shown the nursery and the other factory site which was made eco-friendly, even certified and approved by Marks & Spencers. M&S could use this as a marketing tool, but we didn't see evidence of that in the Oxford or The Hague shop. 
It keeps surprising me that here Matalan hangs next to M&S and Tchibo next to Van Heusen.
It turned out the TV crew didn't make it to this factory, they were to busy setting up at Rana Plaza. A shame as the contrast and similarities between the factories are interesting.

Clean looking nursery with free diapers
Told you it is huge


As I was hanging around my colleague called from Rana Plaza; she was feeling ill, what timing. So I took off earlier than planned. Fortunately my moral support was enough to keep her going just long enough. The rain tried to ruin the whole thing, but stopped just in time. The minister came, put down the flowers, an excellent photo opportunity. The whole caravan went around the corner to look at the rubble, not much to see really, but it is a symbol; an eight story building reduced to rubble.

Again I had to hurry away to be in time at the hotel and for the airport check-in. Traffic was bad, partly due to the rain, we spend at least five minutes next to this rickshaw and some kids playing in the puddles.


We arrived at the hotel and I sent the driver to the airport for the check-in. After half an hour I got a call that he had some problems with the check-in, as I had no idea how long it would take for the delegation to arrive I couldn't leave the hotel. They arrived roughly according to plan, so I could hurry to the airport. It turned out that I had to identify the bags, which is code for 'we would like to see a white face'. So after showing my face at the check-in desk back to be just in time for check-out from the hotel and to the airport with the whole troop. Half an hour wait and making sure they get on the plane. Back home through the rain, dinner at 21.30. I decided it was justified to sleep in and be late at work the day after.

It has been hard work, but a good experience. Next time I make sure there is at least one more person to help me.

And don't forget to watch the Dutch tv on 5 September, that's when the footing will be aired in a documentary.


No comments: