Saturday 7 November 2009

Balcony and Beer

No, we are not drinking beer on the balcony. They are two unrelated subjects, but I just want to write one blog entry. I also want to put Kabul down, but it doesn't start with a B.

When we came back from holiday we still had a few days relaxing at home. To our surprise we found that the tiles of the balcony lifted themselves. According to our houselord a damp problem. So we spent our days with a man locked on the balcony hammering, how relaxing. Clarisse was good, she only left him in after we woke up, locked him on the balcony and sent him home when she went home. That doesn't change the fact that we had to flee the home on a regular basis for our own sanity. Now the man and his friends relaid the tiles and put a few new ones down in a corner, replacing the ones he broke. As extra service he fixed the squeaky tile in the hall, in a way I liked that tile, gives the house character.



On a different note. Forget the doing business index, the presidential elections or the petrol prices going up; Rwanda is developed: We have a dark beer! And it is nice!

To increase their marketshare from 99.8 to 99.9% Bralirwa introduced a brown beer with the catchy name Turbo King. This 6.5% dark beer comes only in 72cl bottles. I don't know the price, but it has to be closer to the local beers than the 4 Euro for import belgium beers. We might have to try some more, just to be sure.



Before the long wait on the decision where we go we have one week of stress deciding which post we want and writing my motivation. An addendum was promised last Friday, it came only today (Saturday). No extra posts for me to react on, except Kabul. As you might guess, I will not put this down. The bad news is that they need several people in Kabul and I can do three of those jobs, so if nobody wants it, there is a possibility they will send me.
On top of this, somebody had the nerve to put down Lusaka as well, it is so unfair, I bagsied it. I am sure I must be the better candidate though. A shame it is anonymous.
Good news for my collegues, somebody put my position on the list.

Next week I will have a final overview of how many people reacted on every post, and then the wait begins.

No comments: