Tuesday 1 September 2009

Last week of holidays

Before we went to Pukkelpop we needed to be sure the luggage was not too heavy. We had an allowance of two pieces of 32 kg each and 2 pieces of handluggage of 8 and 10 kg. Should not be a problem you would think.

Surprise, we were 20 kg under! Only problem was, the suitcases turned out to be too small. (no dad not the new ones, they are perfect). So decision is already made to purchase huge suitcases next year. In the end we ended op posting a big but light bag through the ministerial post, not cheap but much cheaper than a fine from KLM.

Pukkelpop was great.

The day before we picked up Gem and Greg in Leuven and spent a few hours there. Nice town, but it was warm. We drove to Hasselt to get our entry bracelet so we didn't have to queue the first day. Then off to Genk where we booked a hotel. We decided we have become to old to stay at a campsite full of dirty and noisy teenagers and possibly mud.

Day one was a long day, we wanted to see some bands that were programmed early, as well as some that were programmed late. IT WAS HOT. In fact it was the hottest day ever recorded in Limburg (Belgium province). 38 C. I know that my family in USA might laugh at this, but for us it is hot. So we (and 50.000 others) hopped from shade to shade seeking beer and good music. And we did find it. At around 21.00 a big shower came, this was a releif as the temperature dropped, it didn't even last long. The ground absorbed all the rain and there wasn't even mud. OK maybe this is wrong for a pop festival, but we did like the fact there was no mud, we are old.

Day two we stayed a bit longer in bed, party because we wanted to see the last band, Kraftwerk. Maybe we shouldn't have. It turned out that they put there 1970 video on and pressed play on the CD player. We did see four men (assume the right ones) standing behind motionless behind keyboard, I am still puzzled how that can be a performance. As I said; a bit of a disappointment. In all honesty I must say I was very please to hear Das Model. We all know the (worse) English version, but I never heard Kraftwerk play the German one. The best version remains the one from Rammstein. For those who disagree: you're wrong. DAD quote: I like to share your point of view, as long as it's my view too.

Day three my beloved wife decided it was my birthday a day early. We woke up reasonbly late, had some breakfast in the hotelroom and opened pressies, my favorite part. As punishment for being old (it's not my fault!!) I had to wear a hat and some flags around me saying 40. Somehow I did not look out of place amongst the youth and only a few people congratulated me, of course surprised at the number on the flag. Anyway I am 2 x 20 not 40! If you want photographic evidence, please contact the wife, I have the right to remain silent.
(Evidence added by the wife!)

The trip to The Hague was uneventful except for a trafficjam at Rotterdam which added nearly two hours to our journey. The checking at Schiphol was fine, we just had to pretend our handluggage weighed 8 kg instead of 20.

We did enjoy our holidays, and as most people, are glad to be home, but want a holiday!

Neville, our cat, was very exited to see us and we are happy to see him and sad that his sister is gone. We just know we will spoil him even more.

So back at work.

Good news: probably both off to Bujumbura for a few days next week. We will let you know.

No comments: