Tuesday 16 June 2009

Language testing

Almost 2700 potential students applied to Orphans of Rwanda for scholarships. I spent a lot of the first week of June at the office inputting this data.
Becca with a small pile of the primary applications

From the primary applications 528 were selected for language testing in French and English, they then need to complete a secondary application with essay, which will then result in approx 100 being invited for face to face interviews, with 50-60 scholarships at the end of it.


Yesterday I was invigilating the language tests at one of the partner organizations in Kigali, SOS Kinderdorf(p). 120 students were split over 7 classrooms, which meant a lot of running round, and explaining over and over for myself and Sylvain. Despite clear instructions being given in French, English and Kinyarawandan to write their names on the answer papers at the beginning and end of the tests, there were still 6 papers I caught without names, and managed to get them to complete - probably more I missed - part of me feels sorry for the students who were stressed, the other part thinks if they are incapable of following the most simple of instructions, then they don't deserve to go to uni..


I arrived home footsore and shattered, and grateful that despite having to go through clearing, my university entrance was a far simpler matter.

1 comment:

The Toes said...

You really have been BUSY!!! But worthwhile job - well done kiddo xxx