Monday 1 June 2009

Charity trip

Wouter, my brother in law, has the strange habit of running, I do not know from what. Anyway, this hobby has proven profitable for a Rwandan home for handicapped children. Last year he raised over 3.000 Euro for them by running the Kigali marathon. This year he is doing the 'running 4 days', if I am not mistaken 100 km in 4 days. You can read all about it on his blog, and hopefully find some of my photos.

The project is in between two 'highways' so the way there I took the road from the east and back I took the way west and back down to Kigali on the Uganda-Kigali road.

After an hour and a half tarmac I hit the dirt road. Not too muddy, even though it rained hard last night. Some bit through me around a bit, but not to bad. Nearer my goal Ngarama there was a bit basically just stone, all the sand was gone, a bit scared of the sharp edges. Only the last km was good, I wonder who maintained this bit of road, as it is a bit pointless to have a good road, when you need to go for miles on a bad road to get there.

The project lady gave me a warm welcome, she seems to be doing well, but the future is far from secured, as there is no steady income. Read all about it on Wouters blog. Please do, it is also in English.

The way back was 'interesting'. I was glad I didn't have Hazel with me, or any other passengers for that matter. The road varied from rock, to hard sand with cracks, to mud and even a few straight bits where I can easily drive 40 km/hour. Thanks to my zigzagging and other driving skills or plain luck. The way back also to three hours, but more of it over bad road and it would have taken a lot longer if I had a passenger.


Innocent bystanders




Bridge. Yes I did notice the loose bit, but I am stupid enough to ignore it.



No matter how bad the road, the landscape is well worth it. The photos don't do it justice.

1 comment:

Wouter en Mian said...

See our Blog for your pictures and our story of your adventures.