Monday 16 November 2015

Busy Monday

Today has been the sort of day I need more of in Ghana!

It started off with a talk from Kathy Knowles - a Canadian who started (by accident) a literacy and library movement by reading books to neighbourhood kids under a tree in her garden 25 years ago, and has now flourished to eight libraries in the greater Accra region

Full details are on their website http://www.osuchildrenslibraryfund.ca/ - I can imagine visiting one of the libraries in the near future

 
This is Joanna - Kathy's then part-time housekeeper who has flourished into a mama librarian

 Some of the many books published by the Osu Children's Library Fund



Then Paola and I headed to Nayak a batik cloth shop I visited last in 2011...and have been meaning to return to since we got back


 
wall of BUTTONS!


 colourful batik
The linen I bought
 Then we went for lunch to a recent discovery that Lon and I made - Chez Clarisse - a local restaurant with a limited menu of good food - and shared  a portion of grilled tilapia and fried plantain - yum
I'm sure Accra has more for us to discover behind closed gates..

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great day! Looks and sounds terrific. I had no idea there was batik in Ghana. I agree that these are ideal expat type days and visiting the library, perhaps getting involved, will give you even more local contact.