Thursday 20 May 2010

How to get a job

Over the last two days I have been reading application letters for a job opening. I think I will look for a job in HR; it's a laugh.

Here are some things I came across from the just 46 applicants:

- ...Bloodgroup O+
- Karate certificate
- Kindergarten certificate
- readership experience (rwandans have problems with r's and l's)
- Worship and singing God's songs
- I am computerized in Word...
- An applicant referred to the wrong job
- An applicant referred to a newspaper which didn't run the advert
- male: president of WOMEN student association
- skills: internet, several times (in all fairness, it is hard here to get a proper connection)
- training of fire extinguisher
- "I swear that if employed I will work competitively to fulfill my
responsibility."
The best:
- To work hard for my country, country's well-being, for its economic
growth, for people's well-being, and for rural sector development: my
hard work has great impact to the whole world

The thing that seems to be lacking is motivation. There were even letters with the heading 'motivation letter' just saying they want the job and love to come for an interview. There might be about three that mention some motivation or show that they have an idea what the job is about. There was a couple who just couldn't be bothered to write a cover letter. I have no prove but judging by layout and word choice most letters are copied from internet or given as example by the university.

If you think I am making it up, think again, I never could make this up!

Now seriously: it is actually quite sad a whole nation is not capable of writing a letter.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually believe you. I interned at one of the Rwandan Institutions last year, and one day I had the task of organizing the job applications. As a third year university student I was amazed by how many have Masters degrees and even Phds. I was inspired until I saw some of the cover letters. Some had applied with resumes and cover letters hand- written with a pen. They need training centers in the secondary schools to help people know from a young age on how to simply apply for a job or at least have workshops at vocational centers.
So there is my suggestion if you go into the HR sector.
Your post definitely made me miss the little things from back home that make me laugh a bit.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.